Thursday 8 May 2014

DIARY 'TINZ'


I set out late for Ilorin this morning due to the fact that I wasn't aware that the sanitation exercise had been cancelled as a result of the secondary school entrance examination.
My journey was good except for a very close shave from Oyo towards Ogbomosho.

 The ever tortuous route indicated great caution and that I tried to utilize until whenever it was clear to do a 'red bull' past the numerous articulated vehicles that littered the road. I had decided to slow down significantly only for me to suddenly see approaching on my side of the road, a tanker moving fast to overtake another in front. I couldn't swerve off the road completely due to the uneven surface that waited for me so I moved as far right as possible and stepped on the brakes hoping that the speeding tanker would do same. He didn't, he seemed to have had an axe to grind with the other tanker driver and was hell bent on completing his flanking mission. He succeeded but not without leaving me shocked even for a split second.
The governments of the day should move heaven and earth to solve the primitive road problems we have in this country. At least let tankers and other heavy vehicles have their own lane.

I couldn't help but notice a detachment of armed soldiers around a broken down luxurious bus on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway this morning. The vehicle belonged to the 'Young shall grow motors' and two other buses had stopped ahead to attend to the broken down one. I observed that it seemed these buses were conveying soldiers in leafy green combat fatigues with matching helmets out of Lagos to a destination I do not know. They all had their weapons with several magazines and a good number did not appear impressed by the shoddy transportation they were using.
I ask just one question, is it appropriate for luxurious buses to convey armed soldiers especially when there is no war or conflict situation?

I want to assume that the richest man in Ibadan must be the fellow that supplies the numerous models of Nissan 'micra' cars that are used for taxis in and around Ibadan city. There are there in different colors and models. I wonder if Nissan are aware of this patronage, they may consider having a 'micra' rally in Ibadan that would attract foreign participants or at least help to establish and run driving schools for the many primitive taxi drivers in Ibadan. Those people can so re-enter road anyhow..!

I also noticed 3 Nigeria Defence Academy vehicles, in fact TATA buses fully loaded with plain clothes individuals and luggage at their rear ends on the highway to Oyo. I initially thought these vehicles were related to the soldiers I saw earlier at Ibadan until I realized these ones were neither uniformed or armed. The third and last vehicle in the convoy had no front windshield and the frontal structure was mangled most probably following an accident. I ask, could these plain clothed people be new NDA entrants and why would a vehicle with a traumatized anterior be used to carry rams talk-less of humans on a significantly long journey.

Ogbomosho people look like they could succeed as stunts performers and doubles. They mount 'okadas' without fear, riders and passengers. One guy I saw with one hand to control and the other apposed to his hear while answering a call. I'm not sure there are enough Neuro- and orthopaedic surgeons to handle the result of this recklessness.

I finally arrived Ilorin and stopped at the red traffic light just before the first round about after the airport. As a good Lagos boy tutored by LASTMA, I stop when I see red light even though say na like one minute still dey to wait. Na so Ilorin drivers wey dey behind me begin dey swear for me because I wait. My people, wetin I do no pure?

Anyways, let's stand collectively for a better society. No be only that ibadan driver dey drink pure water throw sachet for road. Even doctor dey chop meat pie throwey nylon for hospital floor.
Let's stand for what is true, right, fair and just. God bless.


jide akeju
26/04/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment