Saturday 3 September 2016

ABOUT A WORD.



You see, I decided to check what was trending on twitter this evening and saw Kemi Adeosun was. 

I wondered why so I decided to check it out. I didn't bother to dig too deep but the summary of it was that some folks including many supposed to be cerebral slated the finance minister for allegedly dismissing Nigeria's status of recession as "just a word." Some folks asked for her resignation while more 'eloquent' ones demanded for her sack by the president. 

Some were very angry because she appeared to dismiss the 'suffering' of the masses by saying "recession is just a word" while others stated it more accurately "recession is a word" but these ones were still equally angry. 

So I saw this tweet by one fellow who I understand worked with someone associated with the last administration and now a social media celebrity or something like that.  I'm kind of glad I didn't get to know him while in the university of Ibadan. Well the dude now runs an online propaganda outfit where he gets to write a lot about members of the present administration and also publish statements from the likes of Diezani Madueke explaining her financial activities and stuff like that. 

You see,  this guy tweeted the link to an article on his online paper which was about how Mrs Adeosun denied she made the statement through an aide and how a twitter profile allegedly operated by her tweeted the same words and then deleted it before editing the bio and some other nonsense like that.  There are some tweets which indicate that the mentioned twitter account does not actually belong to the minister.  The story also had a youtube video link to a speech delivered by the minister at a town hall meeting in Abuja early in August https://youtu.be/tZcwG36gq3Y. This is their proof that the minister is a fraud, insensitive and deserving of a sack. 

I read the article and watched the video; I'm still amazed that supposedly sensible people reacted negatively to the "recession is a word" comment.  What exactly is the problem with some Nigerians?  Are they just defiant or just deeply flawed and bereft of comprehending things accurately in context? 

I replied the tweet by this twitter intellectual and asked him if the matter on Adeosun's statement and the video was what he tagged "Scandal." I asked him to "get a grip" but he replied and told me to read the article in order to get a grip. I replied that I indeed read his "lame" article and then asked if that was the best he could have come up with.  MrFixNigeria then slammed his hammer and declared my banishment into twitter 'blockdom.' He blocked me from both his personal handle and that of his online machine and I'm left to wither as a destitute in Cyberia. 

Well, that fellow has tomorrow to deal with. I'm sure he'll come forward seeking public office and will use his exploits over the past 5years as leverage but social media will be there to remind the electorate that he'd not be worth it. 

For those who have constantly asked why we have struggles as a nation;  you may do well to watch the "recession is a word" video and pay rapt attention to every word spoken by the minister.  Hopefully the impervious ceiling blocking the download of commonsense to many Nigerians will come crashing down.

Hopefully.



No comments:

Post a Comment