Monday 13 April 2015

CEASE FIRE

CEASE FIRE

I remember declaring the commencement of hostilities in "Cyberia" on the 19th of December 2014 after sensing that many in that realm were still either laid back or hypocritical about the dire situation our nation was in.  I naturally expected people I thought were cerebral to exhibit objectivity and patriotism but sadly they either shocked common sense or hid their timid frames behind rhetorical "pseudo-intellectualism" and floated upon an imaginary fence of "non-partisanship".

I think I must have "unfriended" one person due to chronic irritation prior to the declaration in December but I believe going on the offensive afterwards was more profitable.  Friends and family got the same edge of the sword just like unknown folks across various social media platforms.  It was like operating as a patrol cop looking for law offenders.  My main targets were those who distorted history,  fabricated lies and exalted the representative of incompetence and ineptitude. Some defied logic and resisted verifiable facts and figures.  Some insulted me and literally pulled their hair out in defence of their deceptive principal.  Many thought the issue at hand was akin to a friendly game between the two top Manchester sides. I am not sure if I got any deletions or blocks but I got assurances that my mission was doomed because a certain fellow had a tool called power of incumbency. How I wish I placed bets;  I would have bought Sao Tome by now. 

This isn't necessarily about the naysayers and pessimists.  I want to acknowledge those who in one way or the other made things to happen.  

My awaken occurred sometime in late 2009. I visited my man Uwa and we were talking about Nigeria and corruption.  His father overheard our conversation and his contribution about our past that day caused me to cease from analysing  Nigerian issues based on sentiments and cured me of bilateral hemianopia. His mum also weighed in big time with her contributions that day.  

Uwa Osadiaye and a good number of my fellow IJ peers like John Ugochukwu Udoh, Abidemi David Edmond, Titilope Akeredolu, Sola Adepoju, Nkechi Onyema, OC Ukeje, Wizy Frenzy, Chukamura Shingimo, Chiazor Chukwulobe, Aseks Baba, Yemi Akinde, Akinshola Daisi, Gbenga Ige, Tosin Jaiye, Muna Momoh, Boye Bada and many others have existed beyond ethnic sentiments to advocate for the true Nigeria.  The likes of Cpt Fameso Oladele Michael, Tayo Lawal, Timi Onibon, Funke Phillips, Ibraheem Abioye, Olaolu Lawal and many others have also not let IJ down. I will acknowledge Fagbenro Oluniyi A even though he preferred a revolution and converted later. John Babatope Oshodi is a legend in his own right especially for starting a thread sometime in December which generated enough discussion among peers to convince more than a few.


My comrades from medical school retained the spirit that moves under the Alexander brown hall reading room to speak up for what is right. Midday Awo is a legend,  the "wrecking ball" who will surface to help demolish any comical opinion.  Omotayo Medictoa Ajayi appeared to tire towards the end but he still forged ahead. Olámìdé M. Folorunso was outstanding just like Michael Oluwaseun Ajibola, Tiwalade Adeluwoye, Gbolahan Yusuf, Dotun Shittu, Oladayo Jaiyeoba, Ba'atunde Olubusi-Yusuf, Lawal Idris Yusuf, Henry Amuta, Akinkunmi Afolabi, Tayo Oluokun, Odebunmi Akintayo, Femi Ojagbule, Wale Ogunwoolu, Phemmy Aina, Olufemi Aina, Oboirien Isa Omokhudu, Labman Ema, Ogbezode Mathew, Oyewale Shiyanbola,  Olu Gbolahan, Tilewa Omotoso, OR Balogun, Femi Ayeni, Kayode Adejoro, Olalekan Akanbi and Taoreed Oladejo. Ajibola Ogunlade's faith never shook and  Ikenna Momah may still be waiting for the Oba's apology but I know where they stand.  Fisayo Oyekolemay have been ruthless from time to time and Oyatokun Olugbenga surely became relentless with time. Folabomi Omowo and Somi Omowo were constantly on the same wavelength and I won't fail to mention the role played by Abayo Ogunwale's constant writing for more than a few years now.  I remember getting educated on northern Nigerian history including migration by Ibrahim Mohammed Binali as we sat outside the building where we lived as house officers in Abuja.  That and my tours through Plateau,  Nassarawa, Benue, Taraba, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Niger, Kogi and Kwara have helped tutor me about Nigeria. Who says we all have to "believe" the same way to canvas for change in the country when Peter Adeosun Keyz and Ayinde Olatunde Olayinka are in your camp? We shouldn't forget the exploits of the legendary Wobo Bex who possesses a certain riverine political gene we can do nothing about but perhaps exploit later. 

Really old peers like Onuh Adole and Dayo Bakenne were also vocal. Bukky Adebayo voted on both days; University friends like Onayemi Tosin, Oyindamola Tutumor, Odukoya Rebecca Morenikeji and Folarin Olabisi did not keep "Kwayet". My Bali brothers Ismaeel Maishanu and David Otuada remained Nigerian and my church brothers Yoma Asorho, Olufemi Oke, Mayowa Ogunmoroti, Seth Ogungbe and 'Bowale Ikotun didn't hide behind fear. An evening spent with Adegoke Akanbi and his older brother in London sharing about Nigeria and the deep seated rot has left am indelible mark in my mind. 

One major positive from all the cyber conflict is encountering many great Nigerians whom I have never or may never meet physically. I will acknowledge the likes of Dr Uche Orji, Fejoku Bliss Patrick, Chidi Ogbuanu, Osahon Coco Omoruyi, Folábí Ògúnléye, Joseph Monye and a top man Kay Lord. My really big brother Sesan Isaac Oloniboko was very active and he does deserve some applause. Peter-Ben Oluwafemi Anifalaje and 'Toba Ayokunle Olakunle were not mute even though far away while those at home like Mr Oluwakuyide Olaniyi Adewumi finally got to shave his Soyinka-esque beard following victory.  

It will be a great dishonor to ignore my Lagos colleagues like the dynamic Lawal Kola Bakare, Banjo-erinle Oluwasesan, Olamide Familusi Somoye and Sholaide Oluwafunmilayo Makinde. My brother Pison Ajobo Olumide only agreed on a change at the centre but that suffices, my cousin Fafure Ademola Oluwaseyi belted loud and clear from hostile territory and my sister Isoken Osadiaye was an amazon in this struggle. 

I would be lying if I said I never wish to gain anything tangible from all that I did.  Nothing physically rewarding came out of it for me and may never come; however I am more than grateful that the struggle eventually bore fruit and we were not put to shame. The thought that Nigeria is potentially poised for greatness excites me, the actualisation of that will be my ultimate reward as a patriotic Nigerian beyond any personal benefit. 

What we set out to fight for has been achieved even beyond our wildest imagination.  The real work starts now to reconcile Nigeria and build her up to exceed the expectation of all within and without. 

I hereby declare a cease fire. Manchester City got "lagooned" today and that appeases me.

No comments:

Post a Comment